Session Chair Responsibilities
Before the Conference:
- Please view the Technical Program for information about the session you are chairing.
- A copy of the author biographies will be sent to you. Contacting the presenters in your session(s) is a way of ensuring their attendance and commitment to the meeting.
- Check for any late program updates on the room sign outside of the meeting room.
- You will receive Session Report form to be signed by presenter after presentation. Please make sure that all presenters sign the form as a proof for paper’s eligibility to be indexed in IEEEXplore.
Chairing the Session:
- Introduce the session topic.
- Introduce the speakers
- Maintain the program schedule. Total time for each presenter is 15 minutes with 12 minutes presentation time and 3 minutes discussion.
- Be prepared for the unexpected!
- If you find a presenter has failed to attend:
- Contact the organizing committee (parallel session committee) to make sure that the presenter attends the conference. The parallel session committee will check on registration list in registration desk.
- Note the no show on the Session Report form.
- If possible, please try NOT TO move to the next paper. Attendees plan for the talks they want to hear based on the published schedule. Instead, please choose one of these options:
- Open the floor to an extended Q&A session for speakers who have already presented
- Have one or two controversial topics ready for discussion
- Bring a topic on your laptop for presentation and/or discussion
- Open the floor for discussion on any topic of interest to the audience
- Start the next talk at its published, scheduled time.
There is a good article on how to be a good session chair. You can read it here